Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Beginnings

    Every year I think about participating in Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks blogging challenge and every year life gets in the way. But I'm hoping this year will be different. This post is the "beginning" of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. (We'll see how long I can last.)

    I've been researching for more than 40 years and every day seems like a beginning. Every day I learn something new, every day I stumble on an unknown website. and every day I learn a new piece of information about someone I'm researching. Sometimes these facts take me right back to the beginning again and sometimes they propel me forward.

    My genealogical journey started when I took a class through the local school district. I was in class while everyone else in America was at home watching Roots. I had a good teacher who got me started on the right foot. I had majored in History in college and genealogy helped me understand what I learned in college. 

    I've continued to learn. This week is the beginning of my 2021 education, participating in NGSQ study groups - reading and dissecting Q articles. And next week is the beginning of 2021 SLIG - Advanced Methods. Normally I'd be finishing up my laundry about now and packing my suitcase for a trip to Salt Lake City and research time in the Family History Library. While I'm sad to not be able to do that this year, I am excited to be able to take TWO SLIG courses and a SLIG Academy course.

    Each new course, each new article, each new webinar, each new conference, each new blog post -- these are all beginnings of a new adventure in learning.




No comments:

Post a Comment