Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Just Cut Off the Black Parts!!

 This week's #52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks topic is Favorite Recipes. I was lucky enough to get copies of various recipes from both my grandmothers, but my favorite, I think, is my mom's Chicken Divan recipe. It used to be the dish I made for potlucks and special dinners, but I haven't made it in a while.

My maternal grandmother was actually a pretty good cook, but she had a tendency to, shall we say, overcook things. I can remember many a meal where the toast or the chicken or whatever was being fixed, came out with some black crust on it. I would turn my nose up at it but she was raised a poor farm girl - nothing went to waste. So she'd say, "Just cut off the black part - it will be fine." And, of course, it usually was. I miss hearing her say that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment