Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Barbie Clothes and Straight Pins

 As I thought about this week's #52 Ancestors theme of Creativity, I thought of my mom, Dixie Joy (Butzek) Martin. When I was growing up, she had a black Singer sewing machine and made most of our clothes. At the time, I always wanted 'store-bought' clothes, but looking back, I realize that I had a lot of very nice things I wouldn't have otherwise had. 

One thing I remember is this bright blue corduroy skirt that she made me. The reason it "sticks" in my mind is the whole straight-pin saga. While my mother was a great seamstress, she was not always the best at removing the straight pins she used to tack up the hem. They'd sometimes just get sewn into the hems - only to be discovered at some point in class when I sat down. Ouch!!!

My mom also made Barbie clothes. I had an early Barbie doll (which I still blame my sisters for destroying), and my mom created a wonderful wardrobe for my doll. Barbie had a real mink stole, made from a mink collar from an old coat. She had a wonderful wedding dress and lots of other great clothes. Of course, I didn't quite appreciate them at the time—I wanted the outfits that were advertised on TV.

At some point, my mom stopped sewing. Perhaps it was when my brother came along, and she wasn't interested in making boys' clothing. I think I was in college when she took up painting. She worked in oils and painted mostly scenery, but she also painted portraits of most of the grandkids. I still have the ones she painted of my sons, and I have several of her landscapes. She was quite good, but she eventually gave it up even though we often encouraged her to take it up again. 

My mom's creative gene was passed down to my younger sister Jeanne, who is very crafty and has her own shop on Etsy. I dabble in papercrafts, so I guess I got a bit of that creative gene, too. But none of us got bit by the sewing bug. 

2 comments:

  1. Your title caught my eye and in reading, it seemed just like what I would have written as mama sewed all my clothes until I begged for store bought. Barbie was my favorite doll and Mama sewed for her as well... and I also have a mink stole and several little skirts she made her... which I still have. along with my Barbies. I had no sisters or brothers. I just loved your story... and yes, we just didn't appreciate all our mama's did for us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother also sewed clothes for my Barbie and for us girls. I had the best suits (jacket and skirt) in the 8th grade that she sewed. She tried to keep up with the fashion.

    ReplyDelete